I guess this is quiche? We had tons of of leftover “stuff” I needed to use up before it went bad. Frittata is usually fried (right?), and I wanted to at least keep this mostly healthy.
Anyway, I wanted to have nice Sunday breakfast with hubs, so I came up with this. It has eggs (duh), tons of spinach, bacon, parmesan, and potatoes. Super simple and super delicious. You get 1/8 of the “pie” for less than 200 calories and 11 grams of protein. Woo!
Post cheese, pre-bake.
Crustless Breakfast Quiche
- 9 large eggs
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon (I used center cut)
- 1 c. spinach, chopped
- 1 potato (baked or pan fried and diced)
- 1/4 c. grated parmesan
- Salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray round dish with non-stick spray (I actually have a quiche pan…haha…but a pie pan would be fine)
- Spread (sprinkle?) diced potato on bottom of dish. This probably won’t cover the dish, and that’s alright 🙂
- Whisk together seasoning (to your taste), eggs, and heavy cream until nice and fluffy. Pour over potatoes.
- Layer spinach over eggs. The spinach will kind of sink down, but will mostly remain on the top half.
- Sprinkle bacon and cheese over quiche.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until done and set in the center. I think mine took just over 30? Ovens vary 🙂
I served this with fruit and sriracha (duh). And coffee. Because coffee is everything on a Sunday morning 🙂
Pretty, huh? YUM. This can easily be altered to use leftovers. Diced ham, tomatoes, and swiss would be delicious!
What’s your favorite Sunday breakfast?
Share in the comments below! And don’t forget to follow this blog, and my Insta and Twitter (@lovethekate)
I have a serious love for stuffed peppers. And I have a serious soft spot for all things mini. Just so cute! Kroger’s mini peppers were on sale for $1.99 (whaaaat?), so I grabbed a bag and decided to make baby stuffed peppers.
Great idea in theory. Those suckers are way difficult to stuff. Nonetheless, they were delicious, cute, and quick, and I WILL be making them again. Maybe with an Italian twist?
Anyway, I paired these Mini Mexi Peppers with refried beans (I LOVE them!). How hilarious is this can?
How cute are these?
I never said they were pretty. I got a little excited with the cheese and missed some peppers….
Mini Stuffed Peppers
- 8 mini sweet peppers
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 c. shredded cheese (I used fiesta blend for some added spice!)
- 2+ tbsp taco seasoning (amount totally depends on your preference)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- “splash” of olive oil
- 1 can Rotel (or other tomato and green chile brand)
- 8 jalapeno slices (I used pickled because that’s what was on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Seed and half the peppers, long-ways. Put pepper halves in a bowl of hot water to soften and become more pliable.
- Cook garlic cloves with oil and turkey and seasonings until brown and no longer pink.
- Add drained Rotel, and mix well. I kind of break up the tomatoes a little bit to make them mix better with the meat.
- Drain peppers and set them on a cookie sheet.
- Stuff each pepper as best as you can 🙂
- Top with the cheese, and jalapeño slice on each pepper.
- Bake until the cheese is bubblin! I chose to broil mine a bit, because I LOVE that browned cheese taste! YUM.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Instagram me @lovethekate using #feistyfrench.
I look forward to hearing from you!
Let me know what other posts you’d like to see on the blog below!
So I have decided to start a new mini series called “Surviving Restaurants.” We don’t eat out very often, but I know there are a lot of people who do. One problem I used to always have going out to eat would be what to order. Obviously. It is so super hard to order something healthy when all of these “cheesy” or “fried to a golden brown” entrees are yelling at you. This series will explore different tips and tricks to eating out, from fast food to coffee shops to your typical sit down restaurants.
Since I just had Taco Bell for dinner (when the hubs is away, the wifey will….eat Taco Bell?), it seems fitting that the first part of this series deals with a fast food.
As much as I hate to admit it, fast food is sometimes too convenient to pass up. We really don’t eat it very often, maybe once or twice a month. I try to avoid it, because holy moly fat and sodium. Honestly, sometimes I crave Taco Bell. This was one of those days. I’m only human! One who really loves Taco Bell…
Anyway, here are a few quick and dirty tips for behaving at fast food restaurants.
- Suck it up and look at the nutrition information. For me, I can usually be talked out of a bad decision with nutrition information. Most people have smart phones, and can quickly look up calorie and fat content for just about any order on the planet. Seriously. Probably the entire planet.
- Remember how food makes you feel. If you’re given the choice between a greasy hamburger and a grilled chicken salad to eat before a race, what should you choose? Obviously the salad. Remember how it makes you feel! Do you want to be able to walk after you eat, or would you rather feel like you’re busting out of your pants? Occasionally, busting out of your pants feels worth it, but is it worth that Big Mac? Honestly, probably not.
- Get water. Come on now, ya’ll. This should be a no brainer. I love me some Mountain Dew, but I would much rather devote 250 cals to food that will stay with me a little longer than 25 minutes. Water will also help fill you up so you don’t eat nearly as much. If you feel the need to drink soda, as I occasionally do, get a small and sip slowly. It will be just as satisfying, and you won’t sacrifice as many calories.
- Avoid combo meals. Yeah it may be cheaper, but you are most likely ordering way more food than you actually need to. If a combo meal really is the way to go for you, choose a healthier side. Most places offer “healthier” side dishes now, such as apple slices in place of fries. And never, ever super size. You do not need it, I promise you that!
What are some of your tips for healthy eating at restaurants? What else would you like to see in this series? Let me know in the comments below! Check me out on Instagram and Twitter (@lovethekate)
Happy Friday! FINALLY. I Hope everyone has had a lovely, healthy week! I’m just going to do this quick post about things I am LOVING right now.
- Quinoa. Holy cow this stuff is awesome. I’m totally addicted to this complete protein. I think I ate it at every meal yesterday. It’s super-versatile and good for you! So don’t be surprised when you’re bombarded with a slew of quinoa-centric recipes soon!
- Reading mindless novels. I’ve seriously read like 6 books since last week. I’m not kidding. Now I did read The Giver which of course is NOT a mindless novel. But I followed that with several easy to read, over the top romances. Hey, sometimes my brain needs a break from all the crazy.
- Not having homework. Um, yay. For the first time in what feels like forever (really it was just one year straight, but in my defense I only had a year off from my bach) I don’t have to think in the evenings. I go to work, come home, and then do whatever I want. Yay no homework!
- LaraBars. These are an awesome quick fix. They aren’t the lowest in calories or fat, and certainly not the highest in protein, but they do have the shortest list of ingredients I’ve ever seen. I had the banana bread one the other day and the ingredients were almonds, dates, and bananas. No added sugar, all naturally sweetened. When I don’t have access to fresh fruit or veggies, I’d say that LaraBars are a heckuvalot better than reaching for the terrible-for-you sweets.
- WATER. Yeah I know, not too exciting. But I have been trying to drink more water lately and, when I do, I feel so so so much better. I feel like I have more energy, my skin looks better, and I don’t eat nearly as much food.
Enjoy your Friday! Please don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter (@lovethekate) and follow me on here!